Saturday, August 16

Bottom Drawer Books

Well, my current "work-in-progress", Kissed By Gods, is about to become a bottom drawer book. All inspiration seems to have been sucked out of me, and I realize that, though I have a strong beginning and end, I have absolutely no middle. So, I'm setting it aside to work on later.

In the mean time, I need to continue on the final read-over-and-touch-up copy of A Mask of Beauty. And I've got some interesting story ideas...primarily one for something set in ancient Egypt. So maybe I'll start on those.

Don't you hate it, though, when the muse just seems to...lose interest? And then where do you go? Without inspiration, how can we write? It's a problem we all have, I'm sure. And while I don't believe in writer's block- I believe that we work ourselves into a frenzy of unwritability -I guess it's a similiar problem.

It's always kind of amazing, though, the things we find that were put aside as bottom drawer books. Occasionally, there's something really great in there.

So, to all of you who I presume aren't reading a word I'm posting, keep writing. :-)

4 comments:

Liana Brooks said...

I have days like that, when I feel like I'm banging my head on the brick wall. The characters won't talk to me. Everything seems to go wrong...

First- you write. It doesn't matter what you write but you do it everyday like eating, breathing, and sleeping. Getting out of the habit is fatal.

Second- I have a jar with things that need to be worked on. Outlines, chapter edits, rewrites, original drafts... whatever. If I don't have inspiration I pick a name out of the jar and do the task. This works well even if you have "50 words" "15 minutes" or "short story" on the slips of paper too.

Jessica said...

That's a really fantastic idea. I keep envelopes with story ideas, so I have something to move onto. But I never really considered the jar idea.

I keep a copy of "3am Epiphany" handy, and flip to random exercises when I get too stuck. It's a great book!

Liana Brooks said...

I've never heard of it but I may have to track it down.

I'm attached to my jar idea. I made it up for a younger friend who was starting to write and I use it to keep myself on track when I'm bogged down with editing and rewrites.

Jessica said...

It's by Brian Kiteley. He's the director of the creative writing program at the University of Denver, and also a published author.

I bought it at Barnes & Noble. It has over 200 unusual writing exercises.

Do I get commission for selling this? :D

Still, I may have to borrow the jar idea. It's a good way to keep on track with the general stuff...